gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] -Wall checked in

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] -Wall checked in
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:10:44 +0300

Camm Maguire :
Greetings!  Am pleased to announce that I just checked in a rather
large mod to get a clean build under -Wall.  Several issues uncovered
and addressed at least preliminarily.  maxima 5.6 and cvs build and
run fine, and gcl compiles itself as well as ever.  Seems slightly
faster too, though this is not a scientific observation.  we'll see
shortly how the Debian autobuilders like this one.

Please test thoroughly.

After recent massive updates I've got the following error
if I configure with --disable-bfd.  With --enable-bfd
everything is fine.

kgcc -pipe -fwritable-strings -DVOL=volatile -I/home/vadim/RPM/BUILD/gcl-2.5.0/o -fsigned-char -Wall -c -O4 -Wall -I../gcl-tk -I../h/ -O4 -Wall sfasl.c
In file included from sfasl.c:45:
sfaslelf.c:145: warning: return-type defaults to `int'
sfaslelf.c: In function `fasload':
sfaslelf.c:211: warning: implicit declaration of function `get_section_number'
sfaslelf.c:292: warning: unused variable `rel_stab_index'
sfaslelf.c:370: warning: unsigned int format, pointer arg (arg 2)
sfaslelf.c: At top level:
sfaslelf.c:379: warning: return-type defaults to `int'
sfaslelf.c: In function `relocate_symbols':
sfaslelf.c:429: warning: implicit declaration of function `set_symbol_address'
sfaslelf.c:442: warning: format argument is not a pointer (arg 2)
sfaslelf.c: In function `relocate':
sfaslelf.c:570: warning: unused variable `new_value'
sfaslelf.c:571: warning: `a' might be used uninitialized in this function
In file included from sfaslelf.c:690,
                 from sfasl.c:45:
sfasli.c: In function `build_symbol_table':
sfasli.c:89: `tmpfile1' undeclared (first use in this function)
sfasli.c:89: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
sfasli.c:89: for each function it appears in.)
sfasli.c:95: `command' undeclared (first use in this function)
sfasli.c:99: warning: implicit declaration of function `system'
sfasli.c:106: warning: implicit declaration of function `read_special_symbols'
sfasli.c:108: warning: implicit declaration of function `qsort'
In file included from sfasl.c:45:
sfaslelf.c: At top level:
sfaslelf.c:693: warning: return-type defaults to `int'
sfaslelf.c: In function `set_symbol_address':
sfaslelf.c:713: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
sfaslelf.c: At top level:
sfaslelf.c:723: warning: return-type defaults to `int'
make[1]: *** [sfasl.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vadim/RPM/BUILD/gcl-2.5.0/o'
make: *** [unixport/saved_gcl] Error 2

Just a few notes for the future:
1) It would be nice to find a way to go completely with ANSI C
varargs, in place of the traditional method.  The problem here is that
one cannot represent *all* args as variable in this way, and such a
possibility is built in to the code in funlink.c (c_apply_n).
2) Need to minimalize the new header h/protoize.h

3) Need to declare all functions with proper arguments -- right now
   gcl requires certain functions to be declared with an empty
   argument list to pass the function pointers around correctly.

4) Need to revisit the 'lintian' changes I've made to the list
   compiler.  Several unused variables should not be declared, rather
   than the empty use of said variables I've inserted into the C
   output.  Likewise with unused labels.

5) Need to beautify and clean the code at some point.  Changes made
   thus far were minimal for -Wall, and not intended to change
   functionality (significantly).

6) Need to finalize the build method, modern makefiles, have configure
spit out most if not all what we put in by hand not in *.h
7) Need to turn to ansi compliance, import clocc test tree.

8) Need to have a sfasldlsym.c option where bfd doesn't work, or get
   bfd to work everywhere :-).

9) release 2.5.0, not necessarily in this order :-)

Take care,

Recently I was distracted from GCL quite a bit by
other business. Now I'm back and trying to do
something about symbol-table problem and ansi
compliance in general.

Best wishes,

Vadim

--