g-wrap-dev

Re: Ripping out GLib bindings, depending on GLib

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Ripping out GLib bindings, depending on GLib
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:18:15 -0600

Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> I had some discussion with him recently about the layout of the
> g-wrap Arch master archive. He agreed on the version fork and I hope
> he finishes setting the master archive up RSN, and once that's done
> I hope things will speed up quite a bit. I also hope Rob gives me
> write access to the master (e.g. via tla-pqm) once he has become
> comfortable with dealing with the archive and my changes.

Last night, after realizing that switching to 1.4.0 for the next
stable release would address my one last issue with the initial arch
layout, I've finished setting up an arch g-wrap archive.  Though I
still haven't used arch enough to know that I'll want to stick with
it, I'd like to just get started and see how it goes.

Right now, in my local archive, address@hidden, we have:

  $ tla abrowse
  address@hidden
    g-wrap
      g-wrap--main
        g-wrap--main--1.4
          base-0

      g-wrap--main-dev
        g-wrap--main-dev--0
          base-0

The base-0 revisions are both just the 1.3.4 source with a few minor
(arch-related) modifications.

g-wrap--main--1.4 is for stable work, and g-wrap--main-dev--0 is for
development work.  when we're ready for the 1.4.0 release, I'll tag it
on a new g-wrap--main-release--1.4 tag branch.

When we're ready for the 1.6 release (or 2.0 if that's what we want),
I'll branch it as g-wrap--main--1.6 and then when we're ready, tag it
as g-wrap--main-release--1.6.

I went ahead and adjusted =tagging-methods to allow .cvsignore files
to be source (see below), and set "tla id-tagging-method tagline".  I
also added arch-tag:'s to all the files where I felt it was
reasonable.  This excluded many of the debian/* files, and files like
AUTHORS and COPYING.LIB.  Those I gave IDs via "tla tag -i
$(uuidgen)".  Note that this means we'll have to be careful to
manually move the tags via "tla mv" for those particular files, though
most of them are very unlikely to need to be moved.  You can tell
which files will require an explicit "tla mv" by looking at "tla
inventory --ids" and see if the id starts with "x_".  All of them are
using uuidgen ids.

My current plan is to keep savannah CVS around, but try having it be
read-only, and only follow g-wrap--main-dev via sync from the main
arch tree -- hence the .cvsignore files in the arch repo.

I also tried to figure out a way to immediately provide my g-wrap arch
archive via our file area on savannah, but was unable to get savannah
to let me upload anything via sftp or rsync.  From the looks of the
news on savannah, there may be some problem ATM.  As soon as that's
cleared up, I'll like to try again.

Given the above, we'll have anonymous CVS devel checkouts for those
who only want to mess with CVS and track what's going on, and we'll
have public access to the main arch archive via the files area.

Wrt to actual coding, I've got a couple of minor fixes here I need to
add to the 1.4 branch, and then I'd like to start working with
Andreas.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning