Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:53:20 +0000

Ian Lynch wrote:
On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 07:49 +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:

Andy wrote:

Also the BBC stated that an open source security system is easy to
break because you can see the code. You can also "see the code" with
Free software.
I doubt this is true however as I can read the specification for SSL
and other encryption algorithms and yet I still can't break them
easily. How odd, could the BBC have been lying?

Cos if you can see the code then you can re-compile the code to divert
the decrypted stream to disk (and it must be decrypted to play) and then
you can watch it without asking the DRM system.

Since you can take the signal to the monitor and record that, you can
break any DRM. You might lose a very small amount of quality but if you
digitise that signal repeated copying is not going to result in any
further degradation. DRM can make copying a bit more difficult or a bit
less hifi but it can't stop it altogether.

I know, but I was just pointing out why the argument of not being able to break SSL wasn't relevant- because the
player already does the decryption.

Sam