Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:45:25 +0000

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 07:49 +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> >
> > Also the BBC stated that an open source security system is easy to
> > break because you can see the code. You can also "see the code" with
> > Free software.
> > I doubt this is true however as I can read the specification for SSL
> > and other encryption algorithms and yet I still can't break them
> > easily. How odd, could the BBC have been lying?
> >

> Cos if you can see the code then you can re-compile the code to divert
> the decrypted stream to disk (and it must be decrypted to play) and then
> you can watch it without asking the DRM system.

Since you can take the signal to the monitor and record that, you can
break any DRM. You might lose a very small amount of quality but if you
digitise that signal repeated copying is not going to result in any
further degradation. DRM can make copying a bit more difficult or a bit
less hifi but it can't stop it altogether.

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org