Re: [Fsfe-uk] Specifics to raise when writing to MEPs?

From: Tom Chance
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Specifics to raise when writing to MEPs?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:29:38 +0100

Hi Telsa,

On Tuesday 27 Jul 2004 08:48, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> Since half my MEPs changed in the last European elections, I
> thought I should write to the new ones and remind the old ones
> about software patents.
>
> Are there specific dates and votes and so long which I can
> mention to them? I suspect a "when this issue comes up in that
> month, please consider voting this specific way" letter is
> probably more likely to get a response than "software patents
> bad, mm-kay".

AFAIK, there are no specific dates yet. The Parliament vote may come up in the
September or October sessions. Maybe you could get away with "when it comes
up in an Autumn plenary session"? As for the vote, it will simply be the
second vote on the directive on "the patentability of computer-implemented
inventions".

Be sure to mention the Council's position, and the news about various national
Parliaments trying to (and in the case of the Dutch suceeding in) overturning
their Council positions. Also mention that Malcolm Harbour (through Roer
Helmer) declared that Parliament's influence is exhausted, even before they
vote! [1] Get them angry that the undemocratic Council is trying to force the
issue.

Regards,
Tom

[1] http://kwiki.ffii.org/?Helmer040705En