Re: [Fsfe-uk] Research questions

From: P.L.Hayes
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Research questions
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:42:19 +0100

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 08:38, Ian Lynch wrote:

> I thin kyou need some concrete examples where these patents have been
> enforced to the detriment of some group of people otherwise it will be
> seen as just paranoia and hysteria.

> Equally they won't be convinced unless you show them actual cases where
> such patents have been enforced to the detrimnet of an average computer
> user.

Enforcement isn't necessary though is it? - The mere threat is enough and
quite frankly I don't give a damn whether someone decides to enforce their
'rights' to exclude others from using software ideas or not. The mere fact
that they can is an outrage but I suppose that won't make the news until it's
too late - if then.

I expect the Bromcom farce would make a fine subject for Gavin's news story if
it needs a concrete U.K. example but I just don't think it can properly
illustrate the full menace and obscenity of software idea patents. Bromcom
may well be more appropriate for a short news item than any 'hypothetical'
issues and like I said, I think a full documentary is required to present the
whole shabby tale but I won't hold my breath.

Don't take any notice of what I say - I'm just exasperated by the media
silence while fundamental rights are eroded for the convenience of a few
'special interest groups' but I suppose this thievish proprietarisation of
intellectual freedom is of no concern to the general public.

Paul.