Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Forum Europe at Linux Expo today ?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Forum Europe at Linux Expo today ?
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:33:53 -0000

James Heald <address@hidden> wrote:
> which is based on a briefing from Mike Banahan of Open Forum Europe,
> peddling their line that we are all doomed and swpat is inevitable.

I was at Birmingham, but not in the conference at all (too much else
interesting happening).  I believe Mike Banahan is of GBdirect, who I
think are OFE members.  ICBW etc especially at this time.

I also think that talking as if the introduction of these restrictions
is inevitable is a favourite technique of the pro-swpat lobbyists.
We should not accept these "exemption" ideas.  Most of them seem to end
up as some idea of "fixed proportion" mandatory licensing which looks
like it could have holes that you can drive a bus through.

Of course, others are much much much wiser about swpat than me.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://address@hidden
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."