Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Forum Europe at Linux Expo today ?

From: James Heald
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Forum Europe at Linux Expo today ?
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:40:53 +0100

Martyn wrote:

> Okay, Delurking and Debunking!
>
>   I was there, at Mike's talk - Mike's a pretty decent guy really, I have had
> dealings with him in the past.
>
>   He was asked about this very question, and he stated (as off the record as
> he could get in a public forum) :
>
>   His statement on software patents was written form the point of view of -
> IF software patents were a done deal (and he was informed that they pretty
> much were, by the people asking him for a statement) then there should be
> exclusions for Free Software to safeguard the common interests.
>
>   He also said (again as completely off-the-record as possible) that he had
> been told that any anti-patent statement would be discarded, as many others
> had already.
>
>   He did admit that the situation had not been handled completely
> satisfactarily, and that he regretted that the statement was being used as it
> is.
>
>   Okay,  I've put my neck out on this one (I sincerely hope he doesn't hate
> me for this one, he did ask for it to be off-record, although technically
> that was aimed at press-people), straight after I've paid my membership
> (finally!), but I'd rather not be quoted, I'm just giving my recall of what
> was said (which might not be totally accurate at this time of night, but the
> gist is there).

I shouldn't worry; I don't think you're repeating anything
that wasn't already said in the piece at ZDnet,
     http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2136651,00.html

The important point is that the article now makes a lot more
sense to me, because the ZDnet reporter misinterpreted what
Banahan was saying.

The 'consulatation' that OpenForum responded to wasn't
organised by the Commission or the Parliament, but by a
lobbying firm paid for by big business.

So ZDnet's first paragraph is wrong.

It isn't "The European Commission and European Parliament"
but rather, "The lobbyists for big business" who "are
determined to introduce software patents in Europe despite
widespread opposition from European companies and software
developers".

And when Banahan was told that swpat was a 'done deal',
again, it was the lobbyists speaking, not the Commission.

There is no done deal, and OpenForum got stitched up.

Thank you very much for clarifying this!

All best,

    James.

PS  What time was the session ?  I was actually there at the
expo, but not till later in the afternoon...