Re: [ft] Telling if a font has TrueType outlines

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Telling if a font has TrueType outlines
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 10:30:24 +0900

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 2 May 2005 08:46:31 +1000 (EST)
Michael Day <address@hidden> wrote:
>I wish to embed the font in a PDF file as a "TrueType" or a "CIDFontType2"
>(also TrueType), which requires it to be a TrueType font with TrueType
>outlines.

Yeah, I'm very happy to know what you want to do.

>As far as I know, this rules out PostScript fonts with TrueType outlines
>and also TrueType fonts with PostScript outlines (OTF fonts).

Oops, please don't call "TrueType-format file with PS-outline" as OTF.
Yes, Microsoft uses the extension ".ttf" for "TrueType-format file with
TrueType outlines" and ".otf" for "TrueType-format file with PS-outline"
(possibly "CFF OpenType" is proper name), but the OpenType font format
specification covers both category. The critical difference of OpenType
and TrueType is the exist of special layout system with glyph transformation
tables like GSUB, GDEF, GPOS, BASE and JSTF.

However, usually "CFF OpenType" has "CFF" table instead of "glyf" table,
you can exclude it by "CFF" existence, I suppose.

Regards,
mpsuzuki