Re: [Freetype] freetype layout when ???

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] freetype layout when ???
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:00:50 +0200 (CEST)

> We are anxiously waiting for Linux to support Unicode Hindi. I have
> in hand two UNicode Hindi ttf fonts with conjunct ligatures which
> work on Windows but not on Linux.

There exists a project which adapts Indic languages to Linux.  Chief
of the project is Dr. Sudhir Mudur (address@hidden); a
fellow called Keyur Shroff (address@hidden) is
coding/managing the entire localization project.  I assume that this
project is (almost?) finished, so contacting these guys might be a
better choice for you than waiting to our layout library.

> I know there's pango in the latest gtk (which I downloaded) but it
> only uses a buggy bitmap for Hindi which has many ligatures wrong.

Hmm, Owen Taylor uses the OpenType support of FreeType 1.x in Pango,
so there should no basic hindrance to have good support for Devnagari.