Re: [Freetype] freetype layout when ???

From: Aditya Gilra
Subject: Re: [Freetype] freetype layout when ???
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 07:34:35 -0700 (PDT)

||Shriharih||

God-Remembrance to all.

Respected Antoine,
Thanks for your fast reply.
I have some points below.

--- Antoine Leca <address@hidden> wrote:
> Bon dia,
>
> Aditya Gilra va escriure :
> >
> > We are anxiously waiting for Linux to support
> Unicode
> > Hindi. I have in hand two UNicode Hindi ttf fonts
> with
> > conjunct ligatures which work on Windows
>
> Good. Can you tell me if they are based on Uniscribe
> (i.e., if they work seemlessly in Windows 2000/xp,
> you type
> in Notepad with the default Hindi keyboard or the
> Inscript
> keyboard), or if they are of some other kind? (I do
> know
> quite a number of these beasts)

No these are not the beasts which map onto the ascii
plane.
These are based on Uniscribe. I don't have windows xp.
but they work on IE 5.5 with unicode hindi displaying
all ligatures correctly. IE5.5 uses usp20.dll
(uniscribe) for rendering unicode.

You can download free to distribute aksDeva.ttf (the
better of the two) along with the unicode editor at
http://www.aksharmala.com But the editor doesn't use
uniscribe so no ligatures. The font'll work on IE with
ligatures and you can try it on windows xp.

I can e-mail it to you if you want.

> As you may have noted, Freetype Layout is more a
> future
> project than a completed one. I should add that we
> welcome
> any contribution (and particularly from native
> Indian
> writers, since Indic scripts is one of the complex
> areas
> involved).

I'll see if I can get someone to code here. Maybe we
(Gita Press) can give it on contract here since it'll
be cheaper.

How much will it cost to give it on contract at your
end? And how much time will it take? We're non-profit
so that's a constraint.

> > I know there's pango in the latest gtk (which I
> > downloaded) but it only uses a buggy bitmap for
> Hindi
> > which has many ligatures wrong.
>
> It would help describing (in a separate, private,
> mail,
> or more productively in a Web site or a ad hoc
> mailing
> list if you can set up something like that) the
> problems
> you noticed.
> Perhaps some of them that you may view as wrong are
> artefacts of something other, perhaps there are bugs
> in
> Pango that Owen would be happy to hear from, perhaps
> they are genuine bugs with the fonts that the
> developper
> ought to correct; but in any case, you ought to
> report
> these bugs.

reported 2 bugs on address@hidden That seemed to
have the latest pango so maybe they're the ones
developing it. Could you tell me a better mailing
list. pango.org seems to have an older pango. I think
pango's passed into gtk.

God-Remembrance (Hari Smaran).
- Aditya.