Re: [Freetype] font catalog

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Freetype] font catalog
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:34:43 +0200

Brian Stell wrote:

> Another strategy would be to not check the private user chars but use
> what ever is there. That way a user could build their own font and
> the browser would display it.

Agreed.

> Probably should modify the glyph fill-in code to not fill in
> characters in this range.

That is my impression. Then I believe the number of faulty fonts
will become much lower.
But you will still have the problematic MS Gothic...

> > ... if you try to render say Chinese with this
> > font, you might well end with blank glyphs. What happen is that
> > this font has a OS/2 map, and this map indicates "Japanese, but
> > not Chinese". As a result, when displaying Chinese, IE unselects
> > this font and instead, select a replacement font with all the
> > needed characters.
>
> This strategy only works when there is a good selection of fonts.
> Definitely not true in the average X system. IE can guarantee a
> good set of fonts because it has automatic font download available.

I agree, but my point is slightly different. I was saying that
IE discarded a font like MS Gothic for Chinese, based on the
informations present in the OS/2 table (BTW, this is the
CodepageRange, not the more obvious UnicodeRange). Perhaps you can
design your own scheme using this information (when present) to
refine the available glyph set, rather than traverse the font.
(I mean, if code page 932 is enable, then the entire codeset
for 932 should be deemed available; same for 950, 936 and 949).

Antoine