Re: [Freetype] font catalog

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: Re: [Freetype] font catalog
Date: 08 Aug 2001 07:30:02 -0400

Brian Stell <address@hidden> writes:

> Just van Rossum wrote:
> >
> > Brian Stell wrote:
> >
> > > TrueType cmaps often have non-zero glyph indexes that are supposed to
> > > draw a glyphs but that in fact have no contours and thus are blank.
> >
> > Sounds like broken fonts to me. Why bother?
>
> It is kinda broken but shall we "throw out the baby with the bath
> water"?

How common are such fonts? Are we talking about widely
distributed commercial (or commercial quality) fonts? There are
indeed numbers of broken TrueType fonts there, which,
for instance, have a "Unicode" character map but are
encoded with the 128-255 from some locale specific encoding.
But most of these also have very poor quality outlines, and
really aren't all that interesting.

Unless we expect users to typically have fonts with missing glyphs not
encoded with glyph 0, we really should be strict and simply encourage
font creators to create decent fonts.

Regards,
                                        Owen