Re: [Freetype] using true type font

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Freetype] using true type font
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:57:26 +0200

Hi Lilia,

Lilia Li Yan wrote:

> We are very interested in freetype project and want to integrad it into our
> project to display true type font like "comic.ttf".
>
> We want to provide the application part a function like:
>
> void FFT_Display_Text(char * ttf_font_file, char * string_to_be_displayed,
> short point_size, short x_position, short y_position, short font_color,
> short background_color);
>
> any existing solutions?

Existing within present FreeType: no.

Expected: yes; this involves a supplementary layer *atop* from the existing
Freetype library; this layer is usualy called "text layout". As explained
in
<URL:http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/docs/ft2faq.html#general-donts>
(the FAQ you did read, right?), Freetype as itself is a font service
library,
not a layout library; however, the Freetype team do have a project to
produce
a layout library (probably named FTL, FreeTypeLayout, so your tentative
function might well be called FTL_Display_Text).

In the mean time, there a number of existing layout library laying around,
such as Pango, which may fit your needs.

Antoine