Re: A couple of issues with freetype2-beta6

From: Elliot Lee
Subject: Re: A couple of issues with freetype2-beta6
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:17:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, David Turner wrote:

> It's not a question of bit-depth :-) The number of grays used in the
> renderer as been changed from 128 (in beta 6 and before) to 256 (in beta7),
> so I'ds suggest you to download the latest version..
>
> Note that if you precisely want to control the gray levels (their number,
> add gamma correction, perform compositing, etc..), you'll need to provide
> your own span rendering callback to the renderer and perform all
> computations yourself. Wait for beta-8 for more documentation on this,
> or try to read the source (see FT_Raster_Funcs in <freetype/ftimage.h>
> for example).

All I care is that the ftgrays renderer gives me a solid foreground color
(graylevel 255) in bitmap regions where it should. beta6 didn't seem to,
beta7 does, I'm happy.

> > . When loading Type1 fonts, the FT_Size_Metrics structure inside the
> > FT_Face does not get accurate info set:

> Well, this is fixed in beta 7 too :-)

Indeed, works great.

> > . In order to go from "slow as molasses" to "bearable speed", it would be
> > nice if I could specify my own GlyphSlot to LoadGlyph into so I could
> > cache glyphs. This could be facilitated by adding a LoadGlyphSlot routine
> > and adding a GlyphSlot member that stored which glyph was last loaded into
> > the slot.
>
> Glyph caching is application specific. We'll probably provide a standard
> glyph cache later , but it will be considered as an add-on, not part of
> the library. As said before, the role of the engine is to access font
> data, and eventually help render individual glyphs.
>
> It doesn't do caching, text layout, etc..

I'm not asking for caching, just an API that allows implementing it. If I
can specify GlyphSlot to load a Glyph into, that's all I need.

Also the FT_New_GlyphSlot() routine probably needs listing in a header
file.

-- Elliot
The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8 meters per second per second.