Re: A couple of issues with freetype2-beta6

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: A couple of issues with freetype2-beta6
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:30:00 +0200

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Seefeld a écrit :

> > . In order to go from "slow as molasses" to "bearable speed", it would be
> > nice if I could specify my own GlyphSlot to LoadGlyph into so I could
> > cache glyphs. This could be facilitated by adding a LoadGlyphSlot routine
> > and adding a GlyphSlot member that stored which glyph was last loaded into
> > the slot.
>
> A nice opportunity to make my point again:
> A simple technique with *no* efficiency loss but much better ownership
> semantics would be to make Glyph(slot) objects which get manufactored
> from the Face object. With lazy copy (copy-on-write) you get exactly
> the behavior you have now in case it is used this way, but you are always
> safe if you want to either keep the glyph around or run FT in a multi threaded
> environment etc.
> Please consider this seriously.

Hummm... we've discussed this point a lot lately, and I added an optional
component (see <freetype/ftglyph.h>) to do basically what you asked for.

In case you feel that it still doesn't fit your need, could you provide
me with an example API that corresponds to what you're thinking about ?

We could be discussing the benefits of object ownerships, semantics,
lazy copy, object orientation, etc.. for hours, but I believe a nice
example, and probably an UML-like diagram too, would help us
understand better what you're asking for..

> Best regards,   Stefan
>
> PS: We'll present the Berlin project (which uses FT2) in Stuttgart, Germany
>     next week at the LinuxTag (http://www.linuxtag.org).
>     If you happen to be around, I'd be happy to meet.

Unfortunately, I'm not available during this period. But thanks for
proposing anyway :-)

Best Regards,

- David