A couple of issues with freetype2-beta6

From: Elliot Lee
Subject: A couple of issues with freetype2-beta6
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:24:20 -0400 (EDT)

. The ft_render_grays renderer doesn't seem to render to the full range of
grays available to it - the darkest I can get is a sorry gray, even in the
spots that should be black. (I'm aware of the bit depth being produced - I
changed the PIXEL_BITS define to 8 and still no joy.)

. When loading Type1 fonts, the FT_Size_Metrics structure inside the
FT_Face does not get accurate info set:

(gdb) p ftf->size->metrics
$6 = {x_ppem = 12, y_ppem = 12, x_scale = 50331, y_scale = 50331,
  ascender = 0, descender = 0, height = 0, max_advance = 0}

ascender, descender, and height are all zero - pretty surely a bug. (This
example is from loading the Bitstream Charter font.)

. In order to go from "slow as molasses" to "bearable speed", it would be
nice if I could specify my own GlyphSlot to LoadGlyph into so I could
cache glyphs. This could be facilitated by adding a LoadGlyphSlot routine
and adding a GlyphSlot member that stored which glyph was last loaded into
the slot.

-- Elliot
The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8 meters per second per second.