Re: Face header

From: Graham . Asher_at_symbian . com
Subject: Re: Face header
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:17:40 +0100

Actually, Don Knuth, as usual, did his research carefully and gives the
correct value for a point. But the value you give is wrong. It should be
1/72.27 of an inch (to two places; I think the exact figure is the absurd
72.27000072), *not* 1/72.72 of an inch. I believe, but cannot remember,
because I don't have the TeXBook to hand, that the value was originally
1/72 of an inch, but the size of an inch was redefined to make its value
expressed in centimetres have fewer decimal places.

Graham Asher

                    Angus Duggan

                    <address@hidden        To:     Bertrand Petit
<address@hidden>
                    uin.com>             cc:     address@hidden

                    11/05/00

                    18:59

Bertrand Petit writes:
>On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 02:28:58PM -0700, Ingar Shu wrote:
>> Since a point is 1/72 of an inch.  Then call
>
>    A point is 1/72.72 of an inch. What you describe is Adobe's
>view of the point.

Historically, the point has taken different values in different times and
places. What you are describing is Don Knuth's view of the point.

a.
--
Harlequin Inc., Seattle, WA 98109, U.S.A.
http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/ajcd/ | http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~ajcd/

If e-mail to me bounces, your mail system is probably mis-configured. Add
the
string "af8Gg01zXrl3k6yy32OtE9Q11v" to the message subject to get through
my
spam-blocks. This string will change periodically.

delivered
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp