Re: [ft-devel] Supporting OT-SVG out of the box

From: Moazin Khatri
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Supporting OT-SVG out of the box
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 23:57:58 +0500

You're describing two main benefits of dynamic linking and why it so popular.  As far as I'm concerned, static linking is rather used for edge cases like static code analysis or when you can't be certain that a required library exists on a system when want to run your program.

Yea, I see. The thing is, I had this really wrong image in the back of my mind that since FreeType is being used on so many different devices, it is supposed to be self-contained. In that sense, I expected `libpng' to be a part of it. I was dead wrong. Thanks to you guys, it's clear now! :)

That's great to hear, no worries at all :)  Also sorry, haven't had the chance yet:  congratulations and welcome to FreeType :)

Thanks and happy to be on board! :)