Re: [ft-devel] Supporting OT-SVG out of the box

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Supporting OT-SVG out of the box
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 19:58:30 +0200 (CEST)

> It is amazing how complex dependency trees can be treated with ease
> using dynamic linking.  I compiled a very simple program that uses
> FreeType today and tried to link everything statically. It's really
> painful.  I had to seek out `.a' files of the dependencies of
> FreeType and then those of their dependencies.  With something as
> less-dependent as FreeType, the process was hard, I can imagine how
> terribly hard it would be for more complex things.  The size is
> another issue it solves.  Am I correct?

It's far easier than you think.  Please get acquainted with the
`pkg-config' program.  Assuming it is installed, and FreeType is
installed also, you can easily get the necessary compilation and
linking options.  Examples:

  > pkg-config freetype2 --cflags

  -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 \
  -I/usr/local/include/harfbuzz \
  -I/usr/include/libpng16 \
  -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 \
  -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include

  > pkg-config freetype2 --libs

  -L/usr/local/lib64 -lfreetype

  > pkg-config freetype2 --libs --static

  -L/usr/local/lib64 \
  -L/lib64 \
  -lfreetype -lz -lbz2 -lpng16 -lm -lz -lm \
  -lharfbuzz -lm -lglib-2.0 -pthread -lpcre -pthread