Re: [ft-devel] problems with your branch

From: Kushal K S V S
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] problems with your branch
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 04:06:16 +0530

* It would be helpful, as you've already suggested, if I could stop
  and start the blinking, for example, by clicking on the image (or
  having a button for that – I don't care, as long as it is explained
  somewhere).
Done. Click and hold on the image to pause the animation.

* The animation works with Firefox 55 but doesn't work with Chrome 58
  on my GNU/Linux box.  I only see a blank frame.  Chrome's debugging
  console shows the following if I click on a four-element glyph image
  – no idea whether it is related or relevant...
    Uncaught DOMException: Blocked a frame with origin "null" from
                           accessing a cross-origin frame.
      at frame_2_source (file:.../top.js:37:28)
      at HTMLImageElement.onclick (file:.../AA/16/index.html:43:106)*
one of the solutions I've found is running this using a web server to run
the pages.

    1. sudo python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8888
    2. Open web browser to http://localhost and go to top.html

Other is using window.postMessage in _javascript_.
I am looking into this solution. I will commit this as soon as I do it.
This may not be implemented in time for the submission (today).
Is this Ok ?
 Really?  Where?  I still see `Size' as the text before the pt size
button, and I can't see any further explanatory text at the top of the
page...  Maybe you've forgotten to push it to the repository?
Updated.
Also what specifically should the explanatory text be excluding the
DLL locations ?

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:37 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Attached are two screenshots (using current git) with my Chrome
>> browser.  In the 96dpi snapshot, the exclamation mark is *smaller*
>> than in the 72dpi snapshot, which indicates that the glyph image
>> scaling is completely out of control...  The results with Firefox
>> are roughly the same.
>
> I've slightly updated the view. Please check.

Looks better, thanks, but...

> I am using 50% width of the table for the image and height is
> 'auto'.  This will keep the proportions of the images correct with
> respect to other images in the table.  I agree, it seems weird.  But
> if we scale the image with respect to the size of the image, the
> results are not pleasing.

... it's not clear to me why you don't use a fixed magnification for
all images, say, magnifying 4x (and providing a knob or slider so that
Joe User can change it).  While constructing the HTML page
`make_sprite' could compute a global default (integer) scaling factor,
partly based on heuristics, and partly based on the widest glyph.

Assuming you are left-aligning the images there will some whitespace
to the right for narrow glyphs.  This is OK with me, and I consider
this better than auto-scaling to fill up the whole width.

>> BTW, if I scroll down, then change a viewing option (e.g.,
>> switching from 16 to 20), I'm taken to the top line so that I have
>> to scroll down again.  It would be nice if this could be avoided
>> somehow.
>
> (spent a lot of time on this ) :(

OK, then leave it as-is.  It's not important right now.

>> Another thing to add is some text to `top.html' which shortly
>> explains to the user what she or he is seeing.  In particular, it
>> should also show the paths to the used DLLs.  And please replace
>> `Size' with `Size (pt)' or `Point Size'.
>
> Done.

Really?  Where?  I still see `Size' as the text before the pt size
button, and I can't see any further explanatory text at the top of the
page...  Maybe you've forgotten to push it to the repository?

>> BTW, will you be able to make the sprite feature actually work,
>> probably with zooming?  Right now I see four glyphs side by side,
>> which doesn't help much.
>
> Done.

Nice!  Some requests for improvements.

* The animation works with Firefox 55 but doesn't work with Chrome 58
  on my GNU/Linux box.  I only see a blank frame.  Chrome's debugging
  console shows the following if I click on a four-element glyph image
  – no idea whether it is related or relevant...

    Uncaught DOMException: Blocked a frame with origin "null" from
                           accessing a cross-origin frame.
      at frame_2_source (file:.../top.js:37:28)
      at HTMLImageElement.onclick (file:.../AA/16/index.html:43:106)

* It would be helpful, as you've already suggested, if I could stop
  and start the blinking, for example, by clicking on the image (or
  having a button for that – I don't care, as long as it is explained
  somewhere).

* Please add some horizontal padding between the four side-by-side
  images (one pixel should be sufficient, I think).  It's otherwise
  hard to quickly see the glyph borders.

> Could you tell me again what exactly you mean by zooming.

You've solved it differently, no need to discuss that further :-)