Re: [ft-devel] problems with your branch

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] problems with your branch
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 23:07:21 +0200 (CEST)

>> Attached are two screenshots (using current git) with my Chrome
>> browser.  In the 96dpi snapshot, the exclamation mark is *smaller*
>> than in the 72dpi snapshot, which indicates that the glyph image
>> scaling is completely out of control...  The results with Firefox
>> are roughly the same.
>
> I've slightly updated the view. Please check.

Looks better, thanks, but...

> I am using 50% width of the table for the image and height is
> 'auto'.  This will keep the proportions of the images correct with
> respect to other images in the table.  I agree, it seems weird.  But
> if we scale the image with respect to the size of the image, the
> results are not pleasing.

... it's not clear to me why you don't use a fixed magnification for
all images, say, magnifying 4x (and providing a knob or slider so that
Joe User can change it).  While constructing the HTML page
`make_sprite' could compute a global default (integer) scaling factor,
partly based on heuristics, and partly based on the widest glyph.

Assuming you are left-aligning the images there will some whitespace
to the right for narrow glyphs.  This is OK with me, and I consider
this better than auto-scaling to fill up the whole width.

>> BTW, if I scroll down, then change a viewing option (e.g.,
>> switching from 16 to 20), I'm taken to the top line so that I have
>> to scroll down again.  It would be nice if this could be avoided
>> somehow.
>
> (spent a lot of time on this ) :(

OK, then leave it as-is.  It's not important right now.

>> Another thing to add is some text to `top.html' which shortly
>> explains to the user what she or he is seeing.  In particular, it
>> should also show the paths to the used DLLs.  And please replace
>> `Size' with `Size (pt)' or `Point Size'.
>
> Done.

Really?  Where?  I still see `Size' as the text before the pt size
button, and I can't see any further explanatory text at the top of the
page...  Maybe you've forgotten to push it to the repository?

>> BTW, will you be able to make the sprite feature actually work,
>> probably with zooming?  Right now I see four glyphs side by side,
>> which doesn't help much.
>
> Done.

Nice!  Some requests for improvements.

* The animation works with Firefox 55 but doesn't work with Chrome 58
  on my GNU/Linux box.  I only see a blank frame.  Chrome's debugging
  console shows the following if I click on a four-element glyph image
  – no idea whether it is related or relevant...

    Uncaught DOMException: Blocked a frame with origin "null" from
                           accessing a cross-origin frame.
      at frame_2_source (file:.../top.js:37:28)
      at HTMLImageElement.onclick (file:.../AA/16/index.html:43:106)

* It would be helpful, as you've already suggested, if I could stop
  and start the blinking, for example, by clicking on the image (or
  having a button for that – I don't care, as long as it is explained
  somewhere).

* Please add some horizontal padding between the four side-by-side
  images (one pixel should be sufficient, I think).  It's otherwise
  hard to quickly see the glyph borders.

> Could you tell me again what exactly you mean by zooming.

You've solved it differently, no need to discuss that further :-)