Re: [ft-devel] Problems compiling freetype into dll

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Problems compiling freetype into dll
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 07:47:02 +0200 (CEST)

> Since I don't need png support, I ran
> ./configure --without.png
>
> Then, my platform gets identified as unix.

This is OK, since it is the very job of msys to emulate a UNIX
environment while running the `configure' script -- please remember
that `configure' does normally not check the platform itself but
rather whether certain features are available, delegating all such
questions to the compiler, the linker, the archiver, etc., which can
answer this best.  However, the script itself needs a UNIX shell for
proper execution.

The same is true for make: If the Makefile contains calls to shell
scripts (like the libtool stuff which is used for compiling and
creating the DLL in Unix mode), you should run it in msys.

> I added the log as an attachment.

Thanks.  This looks good, except this:

  mv: cannot move `libtoolT.tmp' to `libtoolT': Permission denied

Apparently there is a missing writing permission somewhere.  On the
other hand, the `configure' script doesn't have this problem, which is
strange.

Maybe you can use ProcMon

  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

or logger

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff552060(v=vs.85).aspx

to find out where the problem is.

                              *   *   *

Now back to your original question.  Please open a standard Windows
terminal (*not* msys), set up a proper path to the mingw tools (gcc,
GNU make, etc.), and execute

  make

and

  make

again (starting from a clean FreeType tree) and send us a log.  This
should build a DLL also, and if it doesn't, there is a bug somewhere
which has crept in over the years, and hopefully we can fix it.