Re: [ft-devel] more Unicode character blocks for CJK autofitting

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] more Unicode character blocks for CJK autofitting
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 14:53:09 +0900

Dear Werner,

For first, I have to apologize to the authers of the
very interesting patches to improve the autohinter
for CJK Ideographs. The next week will be a period
of my too busy months.

About the update of the coverage for CJK autofitter,
the block for "Ideographic Description Character" is
(scheduled to be) added. It is unclear if there are
existing implementation of OpenType renderer to make
a composite glyph by IDC (I guess, if there are such,
they are quite minority and experimental systems),
but their isolated shapes are something like "Box
Drawing" (U+2500 - U+257F) by broken lines. So, I
guess, there is no serious requirement to apply the
hinting to IDC glyphs.

Regards,
mpsuzuki