Re: [ft-devel] more Unicode character blocks for CJK autofitting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] more Unicode character blocks for CJK autofitting
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 09:41:26 +0200 (CEST)

> About the update of the coverage for CJK autofitter, the block for
> "Ideographic Description Character" is (scheduled to be) added. It
> is unclear if there are existing implementation of OpenType renderer
> to make a composite glyph by IDC (I guess, if there are such, they
> are quite minority and experimental systems), but their isolated
> shapes are something like "Box Drawing" (U+2500 - U+257F) by broken
> lines. So, I guess, there is no serious requirement to apply the
> hinting to IDC glyphs.

Well, handling of IDCs is beyond FreeType.  Similar to the reordering
of Indic and Arabic characters, this must be handled at a higher
level.  If Freetype actually sees character codes of the IDC block, it
should render them as-is.  Thus I believe it makes sense to add them
to the CJK ranges of the autofitter.