[ft-devel] Roadmap for supporting external Drivers?

From: Ian Britten
Subject: [ft-devel] Roadmap for supporting external Drivers?
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:13:17 -0300

Hi all (Mostly Werner though, I suspect...),
Have you had a chance to look at that Driver sample I posted last
week, and if yes, have you had any thoughts about how you might
officially support external drivers in the longer term?

At this point, I'm largely done porting our code (to FT 2.3.5),
and am looking to commit my changes for our other developers to
use.  Unfortunately, without those couple of FT_INTERNAL header
files, no one will be able to compile our code.  As I'm sure you
can appreciate, I'm loath to simply 'sit' on these changes until
autumn (Your proposed 2.3.7 release timeframe).

Assuming that some sort of proper fix will be in v2.3.7, I'd like
to find a short-term hack/patch that will allow us to proceed,
but in a way that is compatible with whatever the final changes
will be.

For example, one approach might be to add the relevant FT header
files to our code repository (Unmodified), restict our build to
*only* 2.3.5, and then do a proper fix once 2.3.7 is released.
Does anyone see any [Technical? Legal? Moral?] problems with
something like this?

Or, does anyone have any other suggestions/approaches?

Many thanks for any info!  (And keep up the great work!)
Ian