Re: [ft-devel] Roadmap for supporting external Drivers?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Roadmap for supporting external Drivers?
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 02:23:57 +0200 (CEST)

> > The excercise is clear: Redesign the API given in ftdriver.h so
> > that it can be lifted to the public level, relying only on opaque
> > pointers (cf. the FT_Xxx_Internal typedefs in freetype.h) if
> > really necessary.
>
> No comment.

This is unfortunate :-) I can't give a time frame for providing such
an API.

> Actually, given that I'm probably a rare user (Having a custom font
> format), I'd even be open to any sort of hybrid solution which might
> be easier for you.

The `hybrid solution' is using the internal header files within your
project.

> > Until this happens, you probably should simply continue to use the
> > internal header files in your project, tracking changes of its
> > contents as soon as new versions of the FreeType library appear.
> > This is not as complicated as it may sound since changes are not
> > too frequent; George Williams, for example, does the same for
> > FontForge, providing a great interface for TrueType bytecode
> > debugging.
>
> Ya, for the time being, I had already realized I was going to have
> to do this.  Even if 2.3.7 has your proposed changes, I don't want
> to delay our FT upgrade until then.

Since the lifting is far more complicated than I've thought in my
first reaction, 2.3.7 (which will hopefully appear in this week) will
definitely *not* contain changes w.r.t. the font driver API, sorry.