Re: [ft-devel] Roadmap for supporting external Drivers?

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Roadmap for supporting external Drivers?
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 03:58:21 +0200

Hello Ian,

sorry for not answering this earlier, I'm just too busy.

the answer is that there is absolutely no roadmap to expose the font driver interface publicly. the fact that the "internal" headers were distributed in previous releases of the library was a distribution error on our part.

the "internal" stuff has always been designed to be for internal use only. unfortunately, as they leaked to installable devel packages everywhere, some developers started using them directly to access certain features (sometimes, even when there were decent alternatives through the public API).

this caused no end of chaos to users and packagers when we released new versions of the libraries, since they sometimes broke various libraries or programs (but not all of them) in subtle ways.

that's why the internal stuff is not exposed anymore. we've gone to great lengths to ensure some sort of binary compatibility before closing these sources to client libraries and programs (in order to avoid breaking stuff again). the fact that we want to avoid breaking "rogue clients" also explains the comments in some of the internal structure definitions regarding the addition of new fields to structures. however, this is only a transitional thing since there are certain things we'd probably like to do internally to clean up some of the things done by the font engine.

your code definitely qualifies as a "rogue client" since it relies on internals, so we do not guarantee that it will work in the future. the font driver interface is so fundamental to the engine's operation that I don't think we should expose it.

if there is a specific feature that you implemented through this interface, we recommend that you file a feature request for it and we'll see what we can do to add a corresponding public API to support it.

I hope this clarifies the situation and that we'll be able to find a way to help you in a manageable way.

regards,

- David