RE: [ft-devel] Revisiting LSB

From: Fujinaka, Todd
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Revisiting LSB
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:37:47 -0700

Please forgive the awful quoting style. I'm not used to this "new" mail
client.

>> 2. What test suites are available?
> There is a stress test generation program available from fontforge
which
> will take a directory of normal fonts, mangle them, and make sure that
> the library doesn't crash on them.

> (initially designed for fontforge, but modified to work for freetype
> too).

> It is very difficult to come up with a general testsuite for font
> rasterization. There are many possible "good" solutions, the "best"
will
> vary from display to display, individual esthetics are often
different.
> -- It's not like a compiler where the result either succeeds or fails.

I may have done something wrong, but those tests take an incredibly long
time.

I think the tests we need are just something to test to see that all of
the interfaces for freetype that are specified in the LSB spec are
present and functioning. The degree of functioning is something I'm not
clear on, but I think the first pass will be just to find the presence
of the interface and basic operation.

I don't suppose there's any existing tests for that.