[ft-devel] Revisiting LSB [2]

From: Ulrich
Subject: [ft-devel] Revisiting LSB [2]
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:54:49 +0200

Sorry for replying that late. I tried to do it in time but obviously my message didn't get through. Checking the archive I found this message missing which I still had a copy of. I try again. I'm no expert in font rasterisation and in FreeType's approach on that matter. There are many members of this list who are experts in both subjects, first of all, David and Werner, the creators (?) of FreeType. George Williams writes:
My claim is that there is no single correct answer. There may be many
good solutions.

This is correct but I still think that this fact doesn't imply that it isn't possible to set up a test suite. As far as I understand FreeType will generate a certain rasterisation result depending on the parameter settings and the environment it detects. There might be and probably will be other rasterisation results which are good or even better but they aren't generated by FreeType because the algorithms chosen simply don't generate them. If the cache system were replaced, extended or improved e.g. the rasterisation results should still be the same. And exactly this kind of fact should be proven by a test suite. There could be other aspects included within the test suite like memory used or time consumed. It would be a good thing to include those additional parameters to avoid surprises but it is not that simple to collect the data and compare them in a meaningful way.
Perhaps with truetype, with the bytecode interpreter turned on there is
a deterministic process which should always produce the same answer.
But with the autohinter (or postscript hints) I do not believe this is
the case. Requiring such leaves no room for improvement of hinting.

It seems that we're still talking about slightly different things. So far I don't see why some bits of the rasterisation result are randomly set. Which part of FreeType does introduce random? Of course, after improving the rasterisation algorithm checking the result by a human being is required and the data of the test suite which are used while comparing the results when the test suite is executed have to be replaced by the new samples. But even in that case a test suite might well be helpful as not necessarily all generated glyphs get a new shape. Work can then be focussed upon the ones that have changed. I would appreciate it if one of the experts shed some light on that.