Re: [Devel] Help me understand this... I'm loosing my sanity. Please.

From: Maurizio Colucci
Subject: Re: [Devel] Help me understand this... I'm loosing my sanity. Please.
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:23:52 +0200

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 19:14, Billy Biggs wrote:
>   This one is the worst I think.  I get the same results here in debian
> unstable.  I had never used this font before.
>
>   I think you should file a bug report in the debian BTS about this
> (bugs.debian.org).
>
>   I think the problem may be that the font likely has no truetype hints,
> and so debian is not hinting at all, whereas redhat8, since it doesn't
> use the bytecode interpreter, uses the autohinter on everything.

Yes, I HAD read in some old post that the Luxi fonts have poor
bytecodes, i.e. are poorly hinted. THEN I should have understood that
redhat was better because it was IGNORING those bytecodes. Then I
should have concluded that Readhat was using auto-hinting, and Debian
wasn't.

So there's no need for a bug report, since it should be a bug report
for the FONT, not for freetype :-)

Override the libfreetype6 debian package with an auto-hinted library
compiled by hand, and the problem disappears.

Thanks for your precious help.

Maurizio