Re: [Devel] Help me understand this... I'm loosing my sanity. Please.

From: Billy Biggs
Subject: Re: [Devel] Help me understand this... I'm loosing my sanity. Please.
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:14:27 -0500

Maurizio Colucci (address@hidden):

> I have uploaded some pictures showing the difference:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/seguso2001/luxi-sans-11-debian.png
> http://www.geocities.com/seguso2001/luxi-sans-11-redhat8.png

  This one is the worst I think.  I get the same results here in debian
unstable.  I had never used this font before.

  I think you should file a bug report in the debian BTS about this
(bugs.debian.org).

  I think the problem may be that the font likely has no truetype hints,
and so debian is not hinting at all, whereas redhat8, since it doesn't
use the bytecode interpreter, uses the autohinter on everything.

  Your problems with the fonts that do have hints are less obvious:

> http://www.geocities.com/seguso2001/arial-10-debian.png
> http://www.geocities.com/seguso2001/arial-10-redhat8.png
> http://www.geocities.com/seguso2001/andale-mono-12-debian.png

  Here I think the problem may be that the autohinter is doing a
'better' job than the truetype bytecode interpreter, but personally I
think it's because the truetype hints are written assuming that the
output is a bitmapped font not an antialiased font (yeah?).

  -Billy