Re: Is FT_CharMap enough? Re: [Devel] CMap support for CID driver.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Is FT_CharMap enough? Re: [Devel] CMap support for CID driver.
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:48:27 +0200 (CEST)

> In writing CID CharMap program, I think FT_CharMap is not enough
> to handle CIDCMap files.

I agree.  It has to be extended (or an alternative structure must be
created).

> * Do you think FreeType should support ALL CIDCMap files?

Yes.  We need a sensible method to specify resource directories to
make /usecmap work.  Perhaps something like FT_Add_CMap_Resource_Dir()
with a callback function provided by the application to specify the
proper directory separators etc.

> * Is there good way to use CIDCMap files with OpenType/CFF CID
> files?

I don't understand.  Please explain.

> * Is FT_CharMap enough for other drivers like winfont or pcf?

I think so, but Francesco can answer this better.

> And I think we had better to update psaux API.
> (e.g. Add HexToInt,

Feel free to do so.

> better handling literal object... # Is cmap name "/EUC-H" or
> "EUC-H"? )

I vote for `EUC-H'.

> We may introduce charmap->ident and add FT_Select_CharMap_By_Ident.
> charmap->ident = "EUC-H", "SYMBOL", "iso8859-1", "UCS2, synthesized
> by FT2",...

Again, feel free to implement it!  I believe that we have to
experiment a bit with it to find the best interface for it.  Tom, what
do you think?

> ---- 90pv-RKSJ-UCS2

> 18 beginbfrange
> <8591>  <8591>  <f8600030002e>
> (snip)
> <87fc>  <87fc>  <f8628ca156e36cd54eba>
> endbfrange

> The codepoint, 0x8591, is a glyph "0." and is in the external charcters
> area.
> And <f8600030002e> defines the composite glyph, 'f860, 0030, 002e'.
> So we can convert 0x8591 to 'U+f860(??indicate PUA??), "0", "."'

Interestingly, my 90pv-RKSJ-UCS2 CMap file (version 4.002) doesn't
have the f8xx charcodes (they are omitted).  Which version do you
have?