Fix! Well, almost. (was: Re: Bugs, bugs, bugs.)

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Fix! Well, almost. (was: Re: Bugs, bugs, bugs.)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:26:25 +0100

I wrote:
>I've noticed, too, that some T1 fonts didn't work; without looking into it
>deeper, it seems that ft2 chokes on fonts with a non-standard FontMatrix
>(ie. the one in FuturaBoldOblique:
>  /FontMatrix [0.001000 0 0.158384E-3 0.001 0 0] readonly def
>
>I'll try to have a look at this.

The above analysis was (of course) wrong... It was a sythetic font. I've
just committed three simple patches to the z1 driver: synthetic fonts now
get rendered! (Or at least, the few I have here pass through unharmed...)

HOWEVER, although the correct (obliqueing) /FontMatrix is read correctly,
it does not seem to be used, even though the following lines from
Z1_Load_Glyph() do get executed:

        /* apply the font matrix */
        FT_Outline_Transform( &glyph->root.outline,
                              &face->type1.font_matrix );

(and face->type1.font_matrix _does_ contain the correct matrix.)

Autohinting or not makes no difference.

Anyone have a clue?

(We're on our own: David is on vacation...)

Just