Re: GPOS support available!

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: GPOS support available!
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:22:55 +0100

At 4:34 PM +0100 28-01-2000, David Turner wrote:
>So, what's your opinion on the subject ??

(I know you don't mean "my" opinion, but I though I'd give some uninformed
opinions anyway ;-)

Maybe it's good to have a look at Microsofts' OpenType Services Library
(not sure if it's even available, maybe they have some doco). If it turns
out their API is well designed and potentially useful, I'd say, copy it to
the extent that's practical for FreeType.

(Hm, I just checked, there's minimal info at
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/developers/otls/default.htm and you
have to write them for an evaluation copy. Hm hm...)

Obviously I haven't seen Microsofts' stuff, but I imagine a layout engine
could work along these lines:

input:
  - an array of character codes
  - desired features/script/language
  - initial x,y position
  - point size/transformation
  - ...?

output:
  - an array of glyph indices
  - an array of glyph positions

Such an API could be made to work with non-OT fonts also, and might then
just be a convenient way to access kerning.

Just