FW: Questions about data in Fields

From: William Nystrom
Subject: FW: Questions about data in Fields
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:24:10 -0600

Second try to send this email.
----- Original Message -----
From: William Nystrom
To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden; address@hidden; sunsetmesa
Sent: 7/24/2001 1:20:29 PM
Subject: Questions about data in Fields

Hi Guys,

I talked to Jim about interfacing to some fortran linear solver code awhile back and then before I left for
vacation, John and I did some work to try and write the interface for our application using Pooma 2 so
we could use this fortran linear solver package.  One of the things I am trying to do is to query a Pooma 2
Field and find out the size of the data that is local to a processor.  I've done this query for the domain object
for a Field and for a cell centered field, it reports sizes in each dimension or coordinate that are one more
than they should be.  John told me that you guys had decided to allocate enough space for a vertex centered
field even if the field was cell centered - as an optimization of some sort.  I am worried that the data for a
cell centered field may not be contiguous because of the extra padding that occurs for cell centered fields
and because the domain object thinks it's size in each dimension is one larger.  Can you tell me if the data
for a cell centered field that is local to a processor with one patch per processor is actually contiguous in
memory?  I can test this experimentally but I have not had a chance to do this yet.  Also, can you tell me the
recommended way to get the correct size of my data on a local processor for a cell centered Pooma 2
Field?

Please send replies to address@hidden as I am not able right now to read my lanl email and I
am not subscribing to pooma-dev from my ISP account.

Thanks,

--- William Nystrom
--- address@hidden
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.