Re: [pooma-dev] docbook overview

From: Scott Haney
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] docbook overview
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 09:13:07 -0600

Hi Mark,

If Allan were really going to write all of the documentation, I'd grant your last point. However, I think it is reasonable to suspect that Proximation folks will have a little to contribute in this area. Therefore, our concerns should be considered. We can also debate whether the world is headed to SGML or, as I suspect, XML. However, let's not.

We'll give DocBook a try subject to the caveat that we're not going to spend time porting this to MacOS X or Windows, which means that we may be checking in badly-formed files that others will have to debug. Also, if it sucks for us, we'll provide input in other forms and allow the DocBook boosters to convert. Sound fair?

Scott

On Friday, May 25, 2001, at 01:20 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:

"James" == James Crotinger <address@hidden> writes:

    James> the biggest emacs user here. But I want a WYSIWYG authoring
    James> tool for whatever we're doing.

Hmm.  There *are* free DocBook WYSIWYG editors but I don't know how
well they work.  One example is `www.conglomerate.org'.  Also
`epcEdit' is not WYSIWYG -- but is specially designed to work with
SGML.

Also, there are commercial DocBook editors that what a lot of the
publishing people are using now.  For example, Arbortext's `Epic' or
Adobe's `FrameMaker'.  There's also something called XMetaL.  These
are all WYSIWYG.  These tools are all priced around $750.

It would be nice if DocBook tools were two years further along.  But,
this is the format we want -- it's a good way of producing web docs,
print docs, and even man pages, in a reliable way, and just about
everyone is using it.  If we don't do this, then we'll end up
converting two years hence, and that's a complete pain in the neck.

In fairness, since Allan has the job of writing most of the
documentation, and since he's happy in Emacs, shouldn't we let him use
what he likes, especially when it's the forward-looking technology
that the industry seems to be standardizing on?

--
Mark Mitchell                   address@hidden

Scott W. Haney
Development Manager