Re: [pooma-dev] CompressibleBrickView's makeOwnCopy

From: Jeffrey Oldham
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] CompressibleBrickView's makeOwnCopy
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:09:28 -0700

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 08:40:44AM -0600, Scott Haney wrote:
> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> Whoa, let's wait a second here.
>
> If you remove this code, can you explicitly instantiate View1 as in your
> little example? Jim's point is a good one, but removing it might not be
> the right answer either. To support explicit instantiation, we might
> want to have the function, but simply have a PAssert in the body in case
> it ever gets called.

    #include "Pooma/NewFields.h"

    #define T1 NoGeometry<(int)3>
    #define T2 int
    #define T3 CompressibleBrick
    #define T4 Interval<(int)3>
    template class Field<T1,T2,T3>;
    template class View1<Field<T1,T2,T3>,T4>;

still compiles.  Perhaps we should wait reversing the patch until I
finish modifying the code to eliminate the need for explicitly
instantiating 'class Field'.  I made some progress, but I also made a
mistake somewhere.

Jeffrey D. Oldham
address@hidden