[fluid-dev] FluidSynth and MIDI channels

From: David Bellows
Subject: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth and MIDI channels
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 10:44:50 -0700

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project that generates music and allows the user to
use any tuning I can figure out how to include. I'm also rendering the
music in MIDI and using pitch bend for the alternate tunings. Since
MIDI has 16 channels and pitch bend applies to every note on a channel
this effectively limits one to 16-note polyphony when dealing with
alternate tunings.

I then saw the -K option which allows FluidSynth to use up to 256 channels.

My question then is this: does this mean that one can set the pitch
bend to different values for all 256 channels thus giving us 256-note
polyphony? If so that would be a terrific feature and a godsend.

Thanks,
Dave