Re: [fluid-dev] New Patch 0003 - polymono - functionality - portamento t

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New Patch 0003 - polymono - functionality - portamento time
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 16:39:47 +0200 (CEST)

Hi, Ben

Thanks for your feedback.

>I'm wondering if there is some multiplier in the patch which is an order of magnitude too large?

No, the patch uses only the following formula based on CC MSB, LSB (in ms).

The patch handle CC portamento time CC 5d (MSB) + CC 37d (LSB) in ms

time(ms) =  128 x MSB + LSB

MSB,MSB value are 0 to 127 each

Maximum time: 128 x 127 +  127 = 16,383 second

> What is it supposed to do? CC5 at 127 gives how much portamento time??

According to the above formula, time will be 16,256 second, near the maximum time, a very long time !

The resolution of CC 5 is 128 ms

CC 5: 1, time = 128 ms

CC 5: 2, time = 256 ms

CC 5: 3, time = 384 ms

CC 5: 4, time = 512 ms

To get smaller time ( < 128 ms) we need to set CC 5 at 0 (which is the default value at fluidsynth initialization), and

use only CC 37d

Notes

(1) CC Portamento 65d must be on

(2) If portamento time is 0 the pitch sweep is not perceptible.(At fluidsynth initialization: portamento time is 0).

(3) If pitch bend is send, it is actually understood by FluidSynth as pitch bend (i.e adding pitch shift .This a default behavior).
     That means, that Pitch bend can be used during a portamento effect.

regards

jjc

On 13/08/16 21:39, Ceresa Jean-Jacques wrote:

> > Hi,

> > To avoid difficulties applying this patch , now the PatchFluidPolyMono-0003.zip

> > file contains the full tree already patched.

> > https://sourceforge.net/p/fluidsynth/tickets/160/

> > That means that if you intend to try this patch you only need to

> > build the tree on your platform.

> > As usual ,building steps are commands: cmake, make,...

> > Regards

> > jjc

> Message du 06/08/16 00:30
> > > De : "Ceresa Jean-Jacques" <address@hidden>
> > > Copie à :
> > > Objet : Re: [fluid-dev] New Patch - polymono - functionality
> > >

> > > Hi, Ben

> > > Please, have you try the command without --binary option ?

> > > patch -p2 < fluid-polymono-0003.patch

> > > jjc

> Message du 05/08/16 23:01
> > > De : "Ben Gonzales" <address@hidden>
> > > A : address@hidden
> > > Copie à :
> > > Objet : Re: [fluid-dev] New Patch - polymono - functionality
> > >
> > >Hi JJ.
> > >
> > > I tried the -p2 option before. It produced the same result as the -p1
> > >
> > > I think the issue is that on windows the file names look like this:
> > >
> > > ./fluidsynth-1.1.6\include\fluidsynth\synth.h
> > >
> > > but *nix needs the slashes to go the other way ( / ) like this:
> > >
> > > ./fluidsynth-1.1.6/include/fluidsynth/synth.h
> > >
> > > I looked at RL Horn's patch and that's what it was like.
> > >
> > > Ben

On 05/08/16 21:35, jean-jacques.ceresa wrote:

Hi, Ben

> > > There are typos errors in the manual , i'am sorry
> > >
> > > 1) the -p options must be -p2.
> > > 2) the --binary is necessary only when patching on Windows environnement from a patch coming
> > >   from unix. In your case the situation is the reverse.
> > >
> > > On my platform (Windows) executing the command: patch -p2 < fluid-polymono-0003.patch, works
> > >
> > > So please try :
> > >
> > > So after
> > >  - reading section 1.1.3 and
> > >  - renaming the "fluidsynth" directory to "fluidsynth-1.1.6" is not necessary (as far we use -p options)
> > >  - putting the patch file into the directory, then
> > >  - moving to the directory, then run
> > >
> > >  patch -p2 < fluid-polymono-0003.patch
> > >
> > > I hope it will work. If it is not the case, i will send the full tree already patched.
> > >
> > > jjc

Le 05/08/2016 09:32, Ben Gonzales a écrit :

Nope, didn't work..

> > > Perhaps the slashes are the wrong way for a *nix environment?
> > >
> > > Ben

On 05/08/16 16:25, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

Hi,

Seems like you need to use a different -p option, as the
error message suggests. Maybe -p2 or -p0 will work instead of -p1.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Ben Gonzales <address@hidden> wrote:

Yes, sorry. The phrase "Read the manual" comes to mind...

> > > So after
> > > - reading section 1.1.3 and
> > > - renaming the "fluidsynth" directory to "fluidsynth-1.1.6", then
> > > - putting the patch file into the directory, then
> > > - moving to the directory, then
> > > - issuing the patch command, I got:
> > >
> > > address@hidden:~/fluidsynth-1.1.6 $ patch -p1 --binary < fluid-polymono-0003.patch
> > > can't find file to patch at input line 4
> > > Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
> > > The text leading up to this was:
> > > --------------------------
> > > |--- ./fluidsynth-1.1.6\include\fluidsynth\synth.h    Tue May 19 12:27:02 2015
> > > --------------------------
> > > File to patch: ^C
> > >

> > > It can't find the file to patch.
> > >
> > > Ben

> > > On 04/08/16 19:54, jean-jacques.ceresa wrote:

Hi Ben,
> > > Yes, has explained in the the pdf (chapter 'how to apply this path'), one need to start from FS version 1.1.6 git.
> > >
> > > 1) apply the patch as described in the pdf. The procedure is the same as for previous patch.
> > > 2) cmake than make. Anyway , always look at the result of the make and verify that the library (libfluidsynth.so)
> > > is build without errors. Only the library is concerned by this patch.
> > >
> > > To give you a quick try, you can run the tutorial commands files at the console. Please read tutorials (part 2).

> > > No, you cannot because this patch supersedes all previous patches.
> > >
> > > regards
> > >
> > > jjc
> > >
> > > Le 04/08/2016 09:01, Ben Gonzales a écrit :

Hi Jean-Jacques.

> > > To compile this patch, do I have to start from a base version of FS and then apply patch 3? If I have applied the first patch, can I then apply patch3?
> > >
> > > Ben

Hi, Fluidsynth users