Re: [fluid-dev] Volume background and foreground

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Volume background and foreground
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:57:39 -0700

James:

The way you change the MIDI transmit channel is different for each particular MIDI keyboard you use, and you (unfortunately) have to check in the manual for your keyboard to learn how to do it.

Using the M-Audio Keystation-88 keyboard (which I use, and recommend), I first press the "Advanced Functions" button, then hit the keyboard note for the MIDI channel I want.

This is quick and easy to do, but you have to read in the manual to know which keyboard note is assigned for each of the 16 MIDI channels.

I can press a single Track-Select button on my Yamaha S90-ES synthesizer.  On my Roland D20, I select the MIDI menu, going through it until I encounter the MIDI txmt setting, then increment or decrement the channel number.

As you can see from these examples, it is done differently on different MIDI keyboards.

As per your suggestion of a blog on using the various MIDI components of Linux, I am working on a product to come out with the next (12.04) Ubuntu Linux release, which will take you through all of the uses of the major MIDI components of Linux, 'holding your hand' to help you through everything you will need to do.

Needless to say, there are a lot of pages & screenshots in the courseware, but I am also adding things to make it easy to use for non-technical people.

So watch for it, hopefully in May of this year.

- Aere