Re: fluidsynth on Windows Was: Re: [fluid-dev] Rerouting output

From: mike
Subject: Re: fluidsynth on Windows Was: Re: [fluid-dev] Rerouting output
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 18:58:47 +0000

On 03/08/2011 06:08 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
On Tuesday 08 March 2011, mike wrote:

The list of available port names are listed in the sound settings of the windows control panel.

Okay does this also apply when you are using a MIDI to USB module (MIDI attached to controller/USB attached to PC)?

Yes, when the corresponding USB/MIDI driver for Windows is installed in the system. The MIDI control panel applet is not available anymore in Vista/Windows7, but it was a handy feature in Windows XP and older versions.

My Windows machine is an XP Professional laptop.  I can install drivers that come with the MIDI/USB module or can use any Windows defaults.
If you are not comfortable with these concepts, my suggestion is to avoid compiling FluidSynth from source.

I'm familiar enough with builds from source in Linux land but was a bit unsure about where to start on Windows.  I've installed QSynth, MinGW and CMake okay AFAICT by using the installer versions.  As you'll know at http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/wiki/Download it says "FluidSynth can also run on Windows and work is under way to make it easier for Windows users to install" and I'm sure I'm missing the obvious but I can't find anything on SourceForge pre-compiled for Windows.  Even though the install notes for CMake+MinGW (i.e. the notes on "Building with MinGW on Windows") look straightforward enough I would indeed prefer to use a pre-compiled version for now.  As Graham has pointed out  v1.1.1 is pre-compiled in the QSynth download and I can use that in the meantime as long as I have no major problems with it.

I haven't had time today to get to the hardware hookup, drivers install and QSynth setup.

Thanks to you and the others who have answered my questions for your patience.

Cheers,
Mike
Regards,
Pedro