Re: [fluid-dev] MacOSX status

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MacOSX status
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 19:13:52 -0400

On Nov 4, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:

Hi,

Here is a summary of the latest changes I've made in FluidSynth and QSynth
Subversion repositories.

* CoreAudio driver now uses the HAL output AudioUnit. I hope this solves the problems reported by Victor Lazzarini last month. A new function has been
added to enumerate existing hardware devices, and an option named
"audio.coreaudio.device" with the same functionality as other FluidSynth hardware drivers. It can be selected in QSynth using the audio device combo
box.

* CoreMIDI driver option "midi.coremidi.id" now works much like the equivalent
option of the ALSA driver. Added support in QSynth for this setting.

* FluidSynth has a new CMake boolean option: "enable-framework", default=true. It creates a Mac OSX style "FluidSynth.framework", a type of bundle that includes headers and libraries together (and other resources if required). This framework bundle is installed by default in "/Library/ Frameworks". If this option is disabled at configuration time, the build system creates an
Unix style dynamic library as before.

* QSynth has also a CMake build system. It can use either the new framework or the old Unix style dylib. After compilation, you can copy/embed all the used frameworks (including FluidSynth) into the app bundle, running the Qt utility
"macdeployqt".

To build universal binaries, add a CMake argument like this one:
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=i386;ppc (all the dependencies need to be compiled
using the same set of architectures).

Pending tasks: testing, packaging, documentation. Opinions?

Hello Pedro

That is indeed a lot of work that you have done. Are you and Rui also planning a new release of qsynth any time soon ?

Can fluidsynth also built as an AU for use in MIDI and audio sequencers ? I suppose you could CC Victor Lazzarini directly so that he could test his external audio hardware with fluidsynth and provide the list with some feedback.

I could do some testing and discuss changes as I go along. Would that be okay with you ?

Regards,
Ebrahim