Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth scale tuning

From: Edenyard
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth scale tuning
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:54:57 +0000

Thanks for that, Josh!

I've also noticed rather unpleasant sounding tones sometimes.  One thing
I have found is that this is often caused by the chorus and/or reverb.
Try turning both of those off, or changing the parameters thereof.

I'll give that a try later. It's a great comfort to know that someone else has noticed it!

Would you be able to comment on the scale tuning, though? Is it supposed to be equal-temperament or something else? Has its accuracy across the scale ever been checked? Are the semitone intervals set by means of a static table or are they calculated somehow using the twelfth root of two or something?

Current FluidSynth annoyances for me:
- Gain control is rather hard to get right (output is often clipping)

I've found that it seems to have a very peculiar 'law': setting it to something less than 1 is fine but it suddenly starts to clip when increasing above 1.

- Output clips even when sound card output isn't maxed (internal
clipping?)

I've suspected that for a while now.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers, Gerald.