Re: [fluid-dev] Multiple fluidsynth instances or all-in-one?

From: Dave Serls
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Multiple fluidsynth instances or all-in-one?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:42:11 -0700

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:51:23 -0800
Ken Restivo <address@hidden> wrote:

> On an SMP system (Intel Core Duo), does fluidsynth spawn off child
> threads/processes for each midi channel active?
>
> Right now I have multiple fluidsynth instances, one for each MIDI instrument,
> and I patch them using qjackctl. I suppose I could also have only one
> fluidsynth instance, with all my soundfonts loaded, and use fluidsynth's
> routing and different MIDI channels to send the various signals to the
> correct instrument.
>
> Which approach would make the most sense on an SMP machine?

  Don't think it should make too much difference, assuming the code is thread
sensitive.

  I'm doing things the second way, because I want the left hand of my keyboard
  produce one .wav stream, and the right another.
  BTW, does your FA-66 look like multiple MIDI inputs to qjackctl?

  I had to make some mods to qsynth to have it route even/odd MIDI input
  channels to different synth engines (plus some other options).
  Unfortunately, my GUI/C++ acumen is zilch, so the mods depend on hacks
  to qsynth's rc file handling.  But it does work, so I can record 3 separate
  file streams (vocals, left, right) at the same time.

*   Dave Serls                                 Littleton, CO, USA      *
*   dashs.denver.co.us                         dashs.com               *