Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth scale tuning

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth scale tuning
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 20:16:17 +0000

I've also noticed rather unpleasant sounding tones sometimes.  One thing
I have found is that this is often caused by the chorus and/or reverb.
Try turning both of those off, or changing the parameters thereof.
FluidSynth really could use some data analysis on the output though.
I've been meaning to do this for a while.

Current FluidSynth annoyances for me:
- Gain control is rather hard to get right (output is often clipping)
- Output clips even when sound card output isn't maxed (internal
clipping?)
- Reverb/Chorus can be rather hard to get good sounds from sometimes
- Stereo samples aren't synchronized (resulting in differences in sound
if one is delayed by a buffer)

Things I'd like to see added:
- 24 bit support (development version of Swami supports 24 bit
SoundFonts, can't hear the difference though!)
- Sample callback streaming support

I'm currently putting most of my efforts toward Swami.  But FluidSynth
really is the only synthesizer right now for it, so its also a big part.
If anyone is interested in coding for either project it would be nice to
have some more developers.
        Josh