Re: [fluid-dev] Tuning Standard

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Tuning Standard
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:32:59 -0800

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 11:38 +0000, Dougie McGilvray wrote:
> We are using FluidSynth directly, with a command file which
> automatically loads and assigns sound fonts and tunings. We use Scala to
> generate the tuning commands, but these need to be edited manually
> before pasting into the main command file. It works well for what we do
> just now, but it would be nice to have the process completely automated.
>
> > Do you know of any MIDI standards off hand that handle this?
> >
> There's a description of the MIDI Tuning Standard in the pages below.
> With a tuning API already in FS, presumably it's not too difficult a job
> (famous last words;) ) to implement. If noone else wants to, I could
> look at it, but it would have to wait a little.
>
> http://www.midi.org/about-midi/tuning.shtml
> http://www.midi.org/about-midi/tuning_extens.shtml
> http://www.midi.org/about-midi/tuning-scale.shtml
>
> Cheers,
> Dougie

If you'd like to have a crack at it I'm sure it would get the ball
rolling :)  Let me know how I can help.  I've got a lot of other stuff
on my plate too as far as programming, so it would probably be some time
before I would get to implementing this.  Having someone interested and
willing to put down some code would likely lead to it actually getting
done in a timely manner ;)  Best regards,
        Josh Green