Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Tuning Standard

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Tuning Standard
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:17:51 -0800

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 11:08 +0100, Toby wrote:
> Josh Green wrote:
> > it would be nice to have some MIDI implementation for this though.
> > Do you know of any MIDI standards off hand that handle this?
>
> I do: http://www.midi.org/about-midi/tuning.shtml
>
> I for one would love to see this standard implemented in FS!
>
> I'm developing (actually still designing) my own microtonal app, which
> will support outputting to MIDI with the tuning standard linked above,
> among many other output options, including CSound's and FS's C API.

I'll add it to the TODO list.  Not sure when it will be coded though.
It does seem like it would be a really useful thing to support.

> FYI, with OSC http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/ you can
> directly send the frequency you want to play to the synth, bypassing any
> note/number abstraction.  The folks at linux-audio-dev list believe that
> OSC should replace midi, at least for internal communication.
>

> Toby

I did some research on OSC before and found it completely lacking in
some areas.  It seems like it describes a decent way for communicating
values, but makes no attempt to describe what is actually being
controlled or what the OSC tree of methods actually looks like.  Unless
someone has added this capability recently, I found it pretty amazing
that such a standard would be pushed.  Basically, one must know exactly
what they are talking to before its possible to control it.  Strange
indeed.  I do remember reading about some efforts to create a discovery
protocol on top of OSC.  That would likely fill in some of the gaps.
        Best regards,
        Josh Green