fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] bug fix release?

From: Tarmo Toikkanen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] bug fix release?
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:30:48 +0200

And then to the topic. Could we get ready a bug fix release until the holiday season? I think the 1.4.0beta is very good and we have already fixed the most annoying bugs. Would it be possible to release 1.4.0 already next week?

I would prefer to call it 1.4.0beta2.

Actually we could adopt the naming scheme that the "beta" is just
added to versions that aren't considered stable, and the numeric
version is *always* incremented in a release.

So the next release could be any of 1.4.1, 1.5.0, or 2.0.0, with the
"beta" postfix or not, but not 1.4.0 anymore, since that version
number has been released already.

Keeping the versions sortable in ASCII order has its own advantages, I
think. This scheme would keep things more simple. The number part
tells the version and the amount of difference between versions, and
the beta postfix is an additional informative bit that is an estimate
of the release's stability.

So my suggestion is 1.4.1beta, if we're still in beta, or 1.4.1
otherwise.

--
Tarmo Toikkanen
http://www.iki.fi/tarmo/