firefly-dev

Re: [Firefly-dev] firefly - a bit from gimpy

From: firefly-dev
Subject: Re: [Firefly-dev] firefly - a bit from gimpy
Date: 02 Apr 2003 11:30:47 +0200

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 01:36, address@hidden wrote:

>I got the idea for this project
> because I want something in a library that is very cross format and can
> be ran on just about anything that has a processor.

I would like the project to run on every platform too, but this can be
accomplished both using xml than using sql.
PostgreSql run on every platform, just take a look here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=1&file=supported-platforms.html)

However the db will be stored on the server, clients can use what they
want to access it, even a mobile phone.

I'm not saying to discard xml in favor of sql, they are both useful but
in different ways.
DB with sql are more useful for *store* data while xml is more useful
for *manipulate* them.

Once u have the data in a db then you can use any language on any
platoform of your choice to retrieve them.

>If it slows it down a bit that
> is worth the cross platform expanditure.

I agree with this.

Marco